"life is nothing without love..love is nothing without you.."

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

First time.

I had to do a demo teaching yesterday (Tuesday) at ELS PJ. As you all know, I am desperately looking for a job. It's not like I'm not enjoying myself at home doing nothing but watching tv and eat all the time. But I need money. And to have money means, I have to work. Unless I have Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt as my parents. I don't have to work at all! OR maybe people will offer me a job without me asking for it. HA! If only I have Angelina and Brad Pitt as my parents lah. *dream on, Nadia!*

Anyway, back to my demo teaching experience. I was told to teach "Adverbs of Frequency". I hate teaching grammar. Because sometimes my grammar pun lintang-pukang. Haha. So, I prepared slides and also lesson plan only to know that I was not able to use the slides. Pfft! And I couldn't sleep the whole night because I was nervous. 

That morning, it was raining heavily. The road was so jammed. My demo teaching was at 9.30, so I got out at 7.45. And I reached ELS PJ around 9.15! Crazy right? 

I started the class by asking them to introduce themselves. And then I started teaching. Mind you, the students there are mostly Arabians. Or maybe Pakistanis. I had never taught students from Middle East before. And while I was asking them to give me example of a 'be verb', one particular student stood up.

Particular student: Ahm teacher! Ahm!
Me: Sorry? Arm? 
Particular student: Ahm teacher!!
Me: Arm? What's wrong with my arm?
Particular student: No teacher! Ahm?
Me: Your arm?
Particular student: No teacher! I ahm!
Me: Owh! 'am'... You mean 'I am'?
Particular student: Yes, teacher. Am.

Geez! I have heard stories from Tatie and Wawa about their students' pronunciation. And I always laughed at their stories. Now I have experienced it myself. I felt so bimbo and embarrassed. I mean, the Academic Director was observing me kot! Thank God she didn't comment anything about that. HA!

p/s: here's to hoping that I will get a job. Amin. 

4 comments: